June 1 is here and I want you to know what you can expect this summer.
Before we get into the schedule, here are some background notes I want you to be aware of.
- More meetings - we are having more meetings this summer than last in an effort to give teens more opportunities to connect.
- More variety - one of the most common requests I've heard over the last year from teens and parents is for there to be more variety in our meetings. The summer schedule will reflect a response to those requests.
- Meetings for teens - the last two meetings of the summer (July 28 and August 4) will be "for teens". This will create an opportunities for me to connect directly with teens, teens to connect with each other, and/or teens to receive teaching specific to their age.
Here are the summer events for five15:
- June 16 - teens and parents: guest speaker Joseph Henson.
- June 30 - teens and parents: we will discuss five15's mission to make disciples and will review anticipated changes in 2012-2013 that I hope will help us grow more effective in this mission. More info on this meeting will be coming to you in mid-June.
- July 14 - teens and parents: teens will participate in part one of a two-part interactive Bible study on James 1 with me and parents will have a discussion with Vince Hinders on parenting as children become adults.
- July 28 - teens: part two of a two-part interactive Bible study on James 2 with me.
- August 4 - teens: the middle school students will meet with Joseph Henson or a member of the 5th / 6th grade teaching team and I will have a discussion with the senior high students regarding how to prepare for the retreat and upcoming school year.
Two additional things you will notice that are different this summer:
- Worship leaders - Ian Jelliffe, Brent Okada, and Scott Bergquist will each be taking a turn at leading worship for us at our meeting.
- Pizza / snacks - for the summer, we are not going to have pizza & ping-pong before the meeting (meetings will start at 6:30 pm). Instead, we'll focus more resources on the snack and hangout time that happens after the five15 meeting.
five15 Retreat - Next week you will receive an email from Diane Boucher with a link to registration for the five15 retreat (August 19-22)!
I'm excited to see what God does through these meetings and events and am very grateful to be serving all of you. If you have any questions or concerns, please send me an email or give me a call.
Fri, June 1, 2012
by Luke Middleton